The New Victory Usher Corps is a three-year program that offers:
- Occasion to see and learn about the culture and inner-workings of live theater from around the world
- Job training and workshops in building essential and transferable skills
- Opportunity to be a part of a supportive team of young adults
- Hands-on work with kids and families in a friendly, fast-paced environment
- Continual personal and professional growth through the program
Working at The New Victory
During a September training and orientation session, ushers learn about their personal job responsibilities in the broader context of the theater’s operations. Our season schedules include day, evening, and weekend shifts, along with mandatory 4pm workshops. Ushers are required to work a three shift minimum each week. Ushers are eligible for pay increases after successful completion of each program year.
Learning at The New Victory
In addition to fulfilling their on-the-job responsibilities, ushers attend job training seminars and career/life-skills workshops throughout the season. These seminars and workshops are dedicated to enhancing personal and professional skills. Some of the workshops include: Goal Setting, Resume and Cover Letter Writing, Personal Banking and Financial Management, Conflict Management and Resolution, Time Management, and Public Speaking and Stress Management.
Growing at The New Victory
Upon successful completion of our established benchmarks over the first two years, third-year ushers have the opportunity to apply for a specialty concentration within The New 42nd Street—this is a unique opportunity for ushers to learn more about how cultural institutions are run. Past third-year specializations have included, but are not limited to, Company Management, Education, Development and Front of House. Through our peer mentoring program, third-year ushers are paired with their less experienced colleagues to assist with professional development and guide the transition into leadership positions.
The Usher Corps is one of the four separate creative youth development programs within the New 42nd Street Youth Corps.
The Application Process
All applicants must:
- Be enrolled in school.
- Be able to work a three shift minimum each week, include day, evening and weekend shifts.
- Be able to attend select mandatory weekday after-school workshops.
We are now accepting applications for the 2020-2021 season. The application deadline is July 31, 2020.
If you have any questions, please email the Front of House Department at NewVicUshers@NewVictory.org.