Summer may be coming to an end, but our 2017-2018 Season is getting closer and closer. For ages, the written word has spread powerful ideas, preserved memories, built countries and sparked imaginations. Based on two upcoming shows, Undesirable Elements
and William Shakespeare's Long Lost First Play
, our final two Summer Field Guides will inspire the creative writer in you.
Contributed by Ruthie Ostrow, Summer 2017 Communications Apprentice
In Undesirable Elements, Ping Chong + Company encourages young New Yorkers to share their stories. After a series of interviews, their experiences will be woven together to form a script that's then performed by the interviewees themselves!
This production urges kids to dig deep into themselves, to ask questions like: Where are you from? What are your hopes and dreams? What mistakes have you made and what have you learned from them?
One of the best exercises to explore your personal histories is journaling. It gives you the chance to lay out your goals, remember fun times and get creative. Claim the power of the pen by reflecting on yourself!
We've added some tips and prompts to get you started. Get writing!
- Your journal isn't something a teacher will grade you on—it doesn't need to be perfect. Your thoughts can be as messy or as neat as you want them to be!
- Try free writing. Put five minutes on the clock, write down whatever comes to mind and don't let your pen stall until the time is up!
- When words fail, draw a picture.
- Cut out pictures and pieces of paper to remember special moments and thoughts.
- Where do you live? Where is your family from?
- What are three things you want to do this week? What are three things you want to do in your lifetime?
- What's a quote that describes the way you feel right now?
- Where's the place that makes you happiest?
- What's your favorite part about school? What is your least favorite part?
- Who's your favorite teacher? What did you learn from them?
- What's your favorite family tradition?
- What's your favorite food?
- What do you want to do when you grow up?
- What's the scariest thing you've ever done?
- Where would you want to travel someday?
- What's one thing you would do if you weren't so afraid?
- Who's your best friend?
- What are three words you would use to describe yourself?
- What's one thing you want to learn about?
- What are three things that make you happy?
- What are you most proud of?
- What's the nicest thing someone has ever said to you?
This play is Shakespeare like you've never seen him before. Reduced Shakespeare Company is back at the New Vic with an "ancient" manuscript believed to be a long-lost play written by a young William Shakespeare. All of his greatest hits are combined—and reduced—in one wacky story. Reduced Shakespeare Company is well known for their hilarious, shortened romps through the famous playwright's work.
|Interested in joining us next season? Learn more about Undesirable Elements and William Shakespeare's Long Lost First Play here!