"We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time."
— T. S. Eliot
Kids search the program for clues to Knee Deep's TXT Marks the Spot.
We at The New Victory are committed to exploration and discovery. We want our audience members to be excited and to discover something new every time you come to our theater—whether it's your first time or your fiftieth! This philosophy was the impetus for adding TXT Marks the Spot to our Public Engagement programming in 2011.
TXT Marks the Spot combines digital gaming, scavenger hunts and the performing arts into unique experiences for families to enjoy together. Equipped with a map and a personal mobile device, participating families interact with staff as they roam all around the theater, learning more about the New Vic and the performance they have just seen—like what inspired this year’s adaption of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, or learning fun tricks from Mother Africa My Home,
or discovering how many angels live on our theater's ceiling.
For our 2016-17 Season, there will be some exciting changes to the TXT Marks the Spot program:
Kids complete activities for The Magic Flute's TXT Marks the Spot.
And some things will stay the same:
- We will now be offering a new version of TXT Marks the Spot that will be available for families at EVERY show in the season. You read that right, TXT Marks the Spot will be available whether you come on a Friday night to see Chotto Desh or a Sunday matinee to see Water On Mars. Every production, every performance.
- You will now be able to play TXT Marks the Spot before or after the show. Don't want to stay later? Come early! Trains running slow and you made it just in time? Stay post-show to play!
- TXT Marks the Spot is not just about the show anymore. Look for clues hidden throughout the building, learn something new about the artists' process and ask ushers specific questions to finish your journey. Families will discover new things about the theater and see the space in a new way each time they participate in TXT Marks the Spot.
- With each performance there will also be questions about that specific show. This means families will be able to participate in TXT Marks the Spot each time they visit the theater!
- TXT Marks the Spot is FREE for ticketholders. All you need is a phone that can send and receive text messages. Depending upon your plan, standard messaging rates may apply.
- TXT Marks the Spot is created with your family in mind—each activity is for you and your kid(s) to participate in and enjoy together!
- TXT Marks the Spot takes about 15-20 minutes to complete. Don't have 15 minutes? Play as much as you can!
Audience members submit their guesses for Knee Deep's TXT Marks the Spot.
But don't take our word for it! Hear what others are saying:
— "My son enjoyed TXT Mark the Spot the most. It was a fun activity and we even got to go to places we've never seen before." — Yelena F.
— "The kids loved the mobile scavenger hunt, TXT Marks the Spot!" — Marjory I.
— "Awesome. Thanks for showing the kids the theater in a terrific way." — Anne D.
— "It was so much fun! Thank you." — Sarah J.
— "We had a great time, my son loved it! It's a great addition to the theater going experience for him." — Marianne P.
What should you expect?
- Arrive at the theater early or stay after the show!
- Find your code to begin TXT Marks the Spot on well—marked signs around the theater.
- Start on the digital scavenger hunt by completing tasks and exploring the theater, while getting to know the New Vic and the show you're there to see.
||Want to get in on the fun? Join us for TXT Marks the Spot for any one of our shows during the 2016-17 Season!